The site is currently largely agricultural with several small patches of woodland. The River Don and Usworth Burn (which connects into the River Don) run east-west through the site. Follingsby Lane runs from the south-east to the north-west from its junction with the A1290 towards Hylton Grove Bridge.
The site is bounded:
- To the south by the existing Nissan car manufacturing plant and other manufacturing businesses around it. The North East Land, Sea and Air Museums is on the southern boundary but is not included within the site – it will be unaffected by IAMP;
- To the east by the A19 with residential areas beyond;
- The Testo’s and Downhill Lane junctions;
- To the north by farmland with the A184 and the residential areas in South Tyneside beyond; and
- To the west also by farmland with the residential areas of Sulgrave and Usworth Hall and the Stephenson Industrial Estate beyond.
Construction works for IAMP ONE are ongoing in the south-west quadrant of the site.