As the drafting and examination of the IAMP Area Action Plan neared its completion and adoption, it became clear that there was an overwhelming and urgent need to provide some of the IAMP floorspace as soon as possible. This was due to immediate demand from potential occupiers wanting space in the area.
A decision was taken to bring forward an initial first phase (‘IAMP ONE’) through the submission of a standalone planning application to Sunderland City Council. The Secretary of State’s agreement to this approach was confirmed in a direction letter issued on 4 December 2017.
The IAMP ONE planning application was submitted on 18 January 2018 and was approved on 25 May 2018. The permission allows for the development of:-
- A series of up to nine high quality units for light industrial, general industrial and storage and distribution uses;
- One of the units was designed in detail (‘Plot 3’) and provides 21,856 sq m of floorspace;
- The remainder of the units would together provide up to 134,984 sq m of floorspace;
- A new spine road and associated junction improvements linking onto the A1290;
- An initial phase of the IAMP ecological and landscape mitigation area (ELMA) to be located to the west of the site and
- Other internal roads, landscaping, parking, service yards, utilities and drainage.
Three buildings and the internal spine road (known as International Drive) are nearing completion, whilst the IAMP ONE Ecological and Landscape Mitigation Area (ELMA) is being created.
A planning application for the second phase of development at IAMP ONE, known as IAMP ONE Phase 2, was submitted on 27 March 2020. Phase 2 includes part of IAMP ONE that already has planning permission, as well as a further triangular area of land to the south west which would provide extra development land. The overlap is shown on the below aerial image.
The reason for the IAMP ONE Phase 2 application is to provide greater flexibility in the size and location of units coming forward and to allow the full extent of IAMP ONE to be delivered, in this strategic location as set out in the IAMP Area Action Plan (AAP).
The IAMP ONE Phase 2 application does not seek to increase the amount of floorspace above that already approved through the IAMP ONE permission. The purpose of adding the triangular area of land is to increase flexibility in the development layout, not to increase floorspace.
The contents of this planning application can be viewed via Sunderland City Council’s planning portal following this link:- www.sunderland.gov.uk/online-applications and using the reference 20/00556/OU4.